Q: Car Alarm

Hi I currently have winter tires on my Caliber and have no tire pressure monitors on the wheels. On the dash the tpm light is on where I have no sensors on the wheels. My question is it normal for the alarm system light to come on while I'm driving? When the light comes on the tpm light goes out and comes back on and when I get out of the car and lock it with the transmitter the alarm system will not arm. Is this something to be worried about?

Hi there. The TPMS can cause multiple electrical glitches in your ECU when they are not active (such as swapping snow tires and wheels). One of these glitches can be problems with the alarm or security warning lights illuminating. The sensors on your car send a signal to the ECU to monitor systems (in the case of your TPM sensor, tire pressure specifically). However, if the sensors are gone, the ECU is still searching for a signal from them. This can cause miscommunication problems. At first glance, I wouldn’t be too worried about this glitch you’re experiencing. However, if you replace your tires with seasonal tires with the TPMS in the wheels, and this problem continues, contact a mobile mechanic to complete a check engine light inspection.