Q: Car acts like I hit the brakes when I first hit gas

This used to happen a little, but it's happening more frequently now. When I first begin rolling forward and press on the accelerator, the car acts like I slammed on the brakes. If I ease up on the gas, the vehicle will then usually accelerate with no problems. If I come to a stop and then try to get rolling again, it acts like I hit the brake again. I haven't noticed any slipping or abnormally high RPMs. The check engine light came on recently while I was having the issue. Plugs have been changed. What else would cause this issue?

Hi there. This can be caused by a number of things, but the most common is a sensor issue. Most of the time this is caused by an issue with the throttle position sensor or the throttle body itself. If the sensor is not reading correctly, the vehicle will more or less stumble when you try to accelerate.

If there are Warning Lights on, such as the Check Engine Light, I typically start by scanning the computer for codes. The codes will help to determine the issue. It can be a transmission issue, but that is not as common. If you plan on having this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light and make any repairs that are needed.