Q: Car A/C Stops Working After Stressing Drive

My car's A/C starts to not work on hot days after driving it for 1 hour in city traffic. Additionally, if I take a trip into the mountains my car's A/C will stop working after two hours of climbing to elevations or stressing the engine driving up inclines etc. The A/C will blow hot air until the car has cooled down (If I park the car for an hour or two). What do I need to do to fix this?

It sounds like you may have a condenser fan that may not be cooling the AC condenser properly. As you may know, the job of the AC condenser fan is to cool down the AC condenser as it generates a lot of heat during the course of its primary function, which is to convert the AC gas refrigerant into a liquid form, a process that generates a significant amount of heat. As the AC condenser fan blows cool air across the condenser, this allows the condenser to remain cool, keeping the pressure down in the AC system which helps to generate cooler air. This is much more noticeable when the vehicle comes to a stop or is moving slowly. As the vehicle accelerates, the air moves past the condenser cooling it naturally as the vehicle travels down the road requiring less effort on the part of the condenser fan. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. Car A/C Stops Working After Stressing Drive