Q: cant get steering wheel nut started

replaced retainer clip under steering wheel now how do i get it to seat down so i can get the nut back on

It takes a special tool to push the plate down till you can get the lock ring into the grove. You can get the tool at most auto parts stores and some stores may have a loaner tool program. If you need the help of a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to fix the column for you then schedule an appointment.

Hi there. This was a tricky one. It appears that the retainer gets put on the column after the nut is tightened down. GM revised the parts diagram for the column in 1989. In the earlier diagram, they show the retainer where it is installed on the column. This makes it appear that the retainer goes on before the wheel. The later diagram shows the proper install order. The diagrams are identical except in the later diagram they moved the retainer so it is being installed after the nut is being tightened down. I’m guessing they changed the diagram for this exact reason. If you need further assistance, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic can replace the column for you and inspect for other problems involving your steering system.