Q: Cannot get in gear.

Have a 2007 Pacifica. Has 74000 miles . Went to drive it and the gear shift would not go into reverse. There is a clicking sound at the gear shift control when I try to put in gear. Of course I pressed the break before I tried to put it in reverse. Any ideas.

The shifter not moving can be due to a few different components. The shifter mechanism itself can be worn, out of adjustment, or broken internally. Also, even though you hear a clicking from the shifter when applying the brakes, the shift-interlock - the mechanism that connects the brake pedal to the shifter - can also be out of adjustment or or broken. It can be moving the shifter lock just enough to hear the noise, but not enough to actually allow movement of the shifter. A certified technician can inspect the shift interlock system and find the exact cause.