Q: Canister oil filter

I have an oil filter that you put in and take out from under the hood. Canister style. At my last oil change I had a shop do it and well they put it on too tight and no I can not get it to budge. And with this make and model of car it is a hard place to access with a socket and ratchet set or anything else for that matter. Usually I can get it with a socket and ratchet but not this time. What can I do? Can I drive the car with an old oil filter and new oil?

You can try to get it loose after the engine is completely cold. Then use a socket tool and turn it slow with constant pressure to loosen the cover. If you cannot get it loose then see if you can find the receipt from last oil change and take it back to them remove it since they are the ones that over tightened the cover. You may have to replace the cover is it has to be destroyed to get it off. You may want to have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come to you and get the cover off or replace it. If you drained the oil already then you can refill and drive it until you can get it done completely.