Q: Can you tow a trailer?

Can you tow a trailer?

A: Your Accord isn’t a pickup truck. It’s desi...

Your Accord isn’t a pickup truck. It’s designed to carry passengers and a limited amount of cargo. However, it can also tow a (light) trailer. The key is not to exceed the weight limitations on your car. There are also a couple of other things you should know:

1. Don’t tow anything during your car’s break-in period (the first 600 miles).

2. Never exceed the maximum weight limit of your car (850 pounds, including the driver, all passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of the trailer).

3. In an unloaded car, the total weight of the trailer and its cargo can’t be more than 1,000 pounds.

Tip

Use a public scale to weigh your trailer and load to ensure that you’re not damaging the engine and transmission on your car.