Q: Can you give me an estimate? 1997 Mercedes SL600

Driving my Benz and motor stopped turning, I removed the upper portion of the timing cover to find the left cam gear had broken off and broke dowels in left head for the chain guide. My car has 74,000 original miles on it so I am trying to decide whether a used motor or replace left cylinder head,all guides and timing chain, I had a knee replacement and need to get my car repaired

Hello - this sounds like serious engine repair which, unfortunately, is beyond the services YourMechanic currently offers. In general, an engine replacement with a warranted used or rebuilt engine can be less expensive than the repair cost for the situation you describe. Be sure that your replacement engine supplier can attested to the timing chain component condition of the replacement engine however, to avoid being right back in this situation again. Thanks for thinking of YourMechanic.com!

3. Can you give me an estimate? 1997 Mercedes SL600