Q: Can’t use my power tailgate anymore

The motor in the power tailgate in my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse has gone out and it is hard to open and close. I have 82,000 miles on the truck so far, so the warranty is no longer in effect. Do I need to replace this part for the tailgate to open and close again, or is there some repair that can work?

The motor should not affect the opening and closing manually, unless it has a binding motor or regulator mechanism. It may be hard to open and close your tailgate because the tailgate gas struts on your tailgate might be binding. The good news is GM just came out with a recall for the defective gas support struts to be replaced because they may fall and end up hurting someone. The recall is 15V415000, dated June 30th 2015. You will need to call your dealer for the free recall to be done. If you want your tailgate motor fixed, you could call also YourMechanic to have your tailgate checked and repaired for you.

3. Can’t use my power tailgate anymore