Q: Can't start, hot relays

About two months ago, my vehicle wouldn't start. Or it might start, but then run a while and die. Three different mechanics told me it would be the fuel pump, but I couldn't afford to replace it at the time, so I decided to wait. One of my friends took a look, though, and noticed the fuel pump relay was hot, and replaced it for me. For two months since, my car has started just fine. Recently, though, the problem started again. I replaced the relay, and that did the trick again for the time being. Would a bad fuel pump cause my relay to run hot? Is it a reasonable bet that if I replace the fuel pump, I won't be wasting money?

It could be that the fuel pump is worn and drawing enough current to get the relay hot, causing it to fail. Fuel pump failure is quite common on vehicles such as yours, so if three mechanics have told you the pump is bad, it probably is. I suggest having a trained professional inspect your vehicle and replace the fuel pump if needed.

3. Can't start, hot relays