Q: Can't start car because key won't turn

I can't start my car because the key won't turn past the first position.

A: I would first recommend you turn the steeri...

I would first recommend you turn the steering wheel back and forth, and see if that will perhaps allow you to turn the key. Most vehicles have a locking mechanism that will prevent the ignition lock from turning if the steering wheel is turned a certain way. If, after performing this check, you are still not able to turn your key in the ignition, you may possibly need a new ignition lock cylinder. I would recommend having the vehicle's ignition system inspected by a knowledgable technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine the exact nature of the problem.