Q: Can’t lock all the doors using key remote

I feel lucky that nothing got stolen out of my 2008 Chevy Equinox(98k miles) when the driver side door randomly stopped locking with the little remote last week. I didn’t notice until yesterday. Now the passenger door lock is acting up too. This seems like a weird problem to have, what would cause the same problem in multiple doors?

A: This problem can have multiple causes. If y...

This problem can have multiple causes. If you’re having an issue with just one door, I would have that door lock actuator checked out as it is likely either stuck mechanically or the solenoid failed electrically. This repair normally involves tearing apart the door and troubleshooting various components. Sometimes, spraying the door latch with a small amount of silicone grease can free it up, but if the electronics are failing it may be worth it to contact a local service like Your Mechanic and have them come to your house to diagnose the door not locking. If you are having multiple or random door lock failures it may be the main computer that controls the security system that is failing. This is often a complex task to troubleshoot this issue and often above the normal person’s ability. There are no Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) or recalls that GM has released that address this issue as of this writing, though it may be worth it to visit the dealership to see if they have any internal memos addressing this issue.