Q: Can’t cruise, have to press the gas all the time

My 2010 Camry XLE 3.5L V6 slows down to about 5 MPH as soon as I take my foot off the gas to coast. I usually have to step on the gas to move faster to an intersection or stop sign, which just makes for a lurching, jerky ride. Also the gas mileage is much worse with all the speeding up and slowing down. This is such a pain - help, please.

The first thing that needs to be check is the braking system. If you have a sticky brake caliper or perhaps a sticky parking brake, this can and will cause rapid deceleration and decreased gas mileage. Some causes of sticky brakes are seized caliper sliders, a stuck caliper piston, or collapsed brake hoses. If the parking brake is rarely used, it can become stuck due to rust build up. If the brake system is inspected and everything is with it is operating normal, and you are still experiencing this concern, you may need to have the engine (ECU) and transmission (TCM) re-calibrated. Toyota has issued a technical service bulletin which guides technicians on how to correct the drivers worry over this matter. This process involves re-calibrating both the engine (ECU) and transmissions (TCM) computer with a dealer specific scanner. This process will update and reset the ECU and TCM and will allow the vehicle to learn and adapt to your specific driving habits and therefore provide a smoother shift. Therefore it is vital you visit a Toyota dealership to resolve this issue. It’s also important to note that it can take several hundred miles for your car to adapt to your driving.

3. Can’t cruise, have to press the gas all the time