Q: can something get cought in the rack and pinion?

My car just started making an awfull grinding sound followed by the whole car gerking. This only happens when i turn the wheel. I changed out the CV. J's so i know its not that. It is also not the tie rods. It does not do it when the car is on jacks and my foot is on the breaks, but it does any other time.

Hello. From what you describe, it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing issues with the steering system. If the issue occurs when turning the wheel, then it may be possible that the issue is related to the steering rack or the power steering system. The steering rack uses gears to steer the vehicle, which can make noise if they wear out or are otherwise damaged.

The power steering system is tied to the rack and pinion and is responsible for providing the fluid pressure required for the vehicle’s power steering. As the power steering system also uses gears and moving parts, it can also produce noise if it runs low. As noises can be caused by many things, I would try to determine where exactly the noise is coming from, or at least from what area of the vehicle, and go from there. If you need expert assistance, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the grinding noise and assist with a repair.

3. can something get cought in the rack and pinion?