Q: Can jumping a car "backwards" cause a complete meltdown?(bad alternator, bad condenser fan, bad brake switch, bad ecu).

It all started when my car just wouldn't start one morning. It would crank, but wouldn't come on. So I tried to give it a jump, connected both positive terminals, the negative on the charged battery to the frame on the dead car. Still nothing. Towed it to a family mechanic and he said the ECU went bad, you have to take it to the dealer to have it replaced and programmed.

Hyundai wanted $1400. We replaced it, they fired it up, and got some codes, and found the alternator was bad, the battery was bad, and a brake control switch was bad. They claimed I jumped the car backwards....Replaced all of that, now at $2400 and one month later.

I pick the car up yesterday, drive it home, and park it. Run upstairs to get my new insurance card. Come back down, turn the car on, open glove box only for it to fall out completely, leaving all my papers on the floor. Then I hear gas escaping from the engine, and a cloud of white steam/smoke coming from the battery side of my car.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, jumping the vehicle’s battery backwards can cause multiple electronic failures. All the repairs done at the dealership could have been warrantied. The glove box falling out and white steam/smoke from the battery area should not have happened, after picking your vehicle up from the dealership. The question ended with, "I take the car back to". Not knowing what the rest is, makes it difficult for me to respond. Other than to say, your vehicle’s falling out glove box and white/smoke coming from the battery area should be covered by the repair warranty. If, you are not receiving satisfaction from the dealership. I would recommend having your vehicle’s electrical problems be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Can jumping a car "backwards" cause a complete meltdown?(bad alternator, bad condenser fan, bad brake switch, bad ecu).