Q: Can I wire up many things to my truck battery?

I have a truck bed light kit and a train horn wired in already. I want to add a LED light bar and winch. If I add those two things will it overload my alternator and cause it to not be able to charge my battery.

A: Hello - while the LED light bar has a small...

Hello - while the LED light bar has a small load factor, the winch is a heavy current load. If you were running the AC, wipers, all vehicle lights, and the winch at the same time, you are probably drawing more current than your stock alternator puts out. (Put an amp meter on the positive battery cable for a test to see what is being drawn now, then add the winch rating). High-capacity alternators are available, and 2nd battery kits are also available for temporarily exceeding alternator capacity. Running the alternator at heavier loads for long periods can also overheat them. Some Euro auto manufacturers have utilized water-cooled alternators for years to avoid this problem. If you run into any issues or want a second opinion, consider having one of our mobile technicians come to your home to diagnose any issues and service your vehicle.