Q: Can I Upgrade the Stock Hoses on My Car?

Can I upgrade the stock hoses on my car?

A: Typical modern automotive cooling system ho...

Typical modern automotive cooling system hoses (made from EPDM, a synthetic rubber) installed as original equipment have gotten very durable, reliable, and long lasting. Failures in the form of leakage or bursting is uncommon without other contributing causes such as rubbing or improper clamping being a factor.

The automotive aftermarket offers enthusiasts many choices for silicone hose “upgrades” in some very attractive colors. The reason why these hoses are used on race cars is due to improved resistance to extreme underhood temperatures typically seen on the track. For street use they may become less attractive after you learn that they can be more permeable (some coolant loss), less flexible, and more difficult to clamp correctly.

If you still decide to get some, be sure to purchase high quality parts in order to prevent lowering the reliability of your cooling system. Just because they are blue doesn’t mean they’re an upgrade. If you’d like some help with radiator hose replacement it can be performed by a certified technician at your home or workplace.