Q: Can I reprogram my old computer module or does it have to be done at a dealership?

I need a new computer brain box but I don't know when I get a used one does it have to be programmed at dealership or can I use my old one and get it reprogrammed, my main question is can I use my old brain box and get it reprogrammed or do I have to get a new one to get it reprogrammed ?

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. If the computer to the vehicle has lost its memory, then you can have it flashed (reprogrammed). If the computer had a power loss and a code for P1684, then you would need to replace the computer with a new one. If you get an aftermarket computer, you will need to have it programmed to your vehicle.