Q: Can I reprogram my old computer module or does it have to be done at a dealership?

I need a new computer brain box but I don't know when I get a used one does it have to be programmed at dealership or can I use my old one and get it reprogrammed, my main question is can I use my old brain box and get it reprogrammed or do I have to get a new one to get it reprogrammed ?

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. If the computer to the vehicle has lost its memory, then you can have it flashed (reprogrammed). If the computer had a power loss and a code for P1684, then you would need to replace the computer with a new one. If you get an aftermarket computer, you will need to have it programmed to your vehicle.

3. Can I reprogram my old computer module or does it have to be done at a dealership?