Q: Can i make a new sump gasket for my 98 lancer from cork or rubber gasket sheet or do i need to buy a new one?

my 98 lancer has done 337,000km the last service was over 37km ago. in that time it has burnt over 10lt of oil. i can imagine the sump is fairly full of sludgey oil. im about to give it a service and was thinking of going a little further and removing the sump pan and cleaning out in the robowash at work. it this extra step worth it or should i just stick to the normal service? if yes i would like to make a new gasket out of cork or rubber gasket sheet i can get from work is this possible or does the lancer have a molded sump gasket?

Hello. If you have reason to believe that your oil sump may be sludgey, due to waiting too long in between services, then it may not be a bad idea to clean it out. Cleaning the pan / sump out would only help extend and maximize the engine’s service life. You may be able to make a new gasket on your own, however a custom molded oil pan gasket, specifically made for that vehicle can likely be found with little difficulty. If you choose to make your own gasket be sure to do so using a sufficiently oil resistant material.

• Can i make a new sump gasket for my 98 lancer from cork or rubber gasket sheet or do i need to buy a new one?