Q: Can error codes be reset by performing a quick reset

The error codes system isn't working properly and the dealership says it's because I've been using a non-Mazda mechanic. They also said that they would have to go through the codes one-by-one, which will take a load of money and time! Please give me advice as to whether or not you agree with their assessment and isn't there a way to clear the error codes by performing a quick reset?

I am guessing that the Mazda dealership may have a way of retrieving trouble codes from a source other than the OBD-II connector if they offered you that service. As for the system not working properly after you used a mechanic other than the dealership, this could be due to the fact that your previous mechanic may have tampered with your diagnostic service connector.

It may be possible for you to locate this connector in your vehicle and check the wiring nearby for any visual damages or tampering. This connector is usually located under the driver side kick panel and the wiring associated with it is fairly easy to see. Starting with an inspection of the OBD-II connector for damages would be my best recommendation. Also, simply erasing the trouble codes may not solve whatever other issues you are having and could cause the Check Engine Light to come back on. You should have the Check Engine Light thoroughly diagnosed and have the issues addressed properly in order to resolve the trouble codes and avoid further damage that could cost even more time and money in the long-run.