Q: Can an oil dipstick swell?

Took the car to get the oil checked and the mechanic said the dipstick is swelling is this possible? And if so what should be done to fix it? Thanks

The dipstick is mostly metal and thus will not change dimension in any appreciable way. Perhaps the mechanic was referring to changes in the amount or level of engine oil? If you happen to take a lot of short trips in your car, condensation (water), as well as by products of combustion, can actually accumulate and add to the volume of oil in the crankcase making the amount of oil appear to have increased even though you have added nothing. Then, when you fully heat the engine and run it for a prolonged period on the highway for example, all that water evaporates and the oil level then appears to drop even though all that has happened is the water has evaporated. If the oil level is low you can request an inspection. Or, if you need an oil and filter change, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine oil/filter change and the responding mechanic will get that taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Can an oil dipstick swell?