Q: Can an almost new tire have dry rot?

My mechanic says all four of my tires have dry rot. I love my mechanic and normally wouldn't blink, but one of those tires is almost new - I had to replace a punctured tire last summer. Is it really possible that it has dry rot? Or is he "rounding up" because the other three tires are older? The mechanic who replaced my puncture said the other front tire still looked good, otherwise he would have suggested replacing them as a pair. What could cause dry rot so quickly on a car?

Tires can dry rot pretty quick in dry hot climates but should last at least 3 or 4 years before needing to be replaced. If tires have dry rot then you will see small hairline cracks in the rubber either on side walls or in the treads. If any dry rot is noted then the tires can be unsafe to drive on. If 3 out of 4 tires are bad it is beat to get all new matching tires so the tires run straight down the road and do not cause pull or ABS problems with uneven tire wear.

3. Can an almost new tire have dry rot?