Q: Can a bad cam seal cause a p0041 code in a 2001 1.8t engine? There is oil in 2 of the spark plug holes, timing belt is good

Can a bad cam seal cause a p0041 code (over retarded bank 1) in a 2001 1.8t engine? There is oil in 2 of the spark plug holes, but the timing belt appears to be fine.

Hi there - no, a leaking cam seal will not cause a P0041, but it will cause misfires from shorting between the plug and cylinder head because of the oil leak on the plugs and coil boots. A P0041 code is indicative of swapped cables between the 2 O2 sensors (Bank 1 and Bank2). Possibly a re-installation or O2 sensor replacement issue? I would recommend having a Valve Cover Gasket Replacement completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to address the oil leak.

• Can a bad cam seal cause a p0041 code in a 2001 1.8t engine? There is oil in 2 of the spark plug holes, timing belt is good