Q: Camshaft failed two months after timing belt replacement

Our car of a sudden began to wobble at idle and we bring it in and we're told that the camshaft needs to be replaced. To me, I've never heard of this for a car under 100k miles. They also just finished replacing the timing belt about 2 months ago which sounds suspicious. Could their be any connection?

A: Although it is not extremely common for a c...

Although it is not extremely common for a camshaft to fail within the 100k mile range, it is not impossible. If indeed the camshaft has snapped or potentially has a bad bearing, this can in fact cause an enormous vibration.

As you may know, the timing belt is part of what turns the camshaft and so definitely has a connection. There also may be other things that could potentially cause a vibration, such as a rough idling motor or a loose motor mount. I would recommend getting a second opinion by having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to take a look at the car to determine why it is shaking and wobbling as you describe.