Q: camshaft

ok first off whats the arrow on the cap of the camshaft for? second what the lines for on the camshaft gear where your power steering hooks up to i have three little line one after another?

Hello. In most engines the arrows you are referring to are for aligning the camshafts with the crankshaft, when assembling the engine. The camshafts must be positioned in a very specific manner in order to properly time the engine. Usually the arrows have on the camshafts have to be pointed towards each other, or upwards when engine timing belt or chain is installed, however this will vary by engine design. If you are referring to the camshaft caps, the components in the cylinder head that secure the camshafts to the cylinder head, they are likely to display which direction the caps should be facing when installed. In most cases you will only need to look closely at these lines if you are disassembling or working on the engine.