Q: Caliper replacement causing uneven pad wear

I had my Jeep inspected recently and was told that both the front and rear calipers need to be replaced because they're causing uneven wearing of the pad. While looking online, I found that the slide pins may simply need to be replaced. My question is, is it likely that the calipers need to be replaced or could I just replace the slide pins?

When it comes to working on brakes you will not find a mechanic out there that will only do a partial job when it comes to brakes and your safety. The slides for the calipers will get seized inside the calipers and may require the caliper to be replaced when you try and remove the slides. The quote for all the calipers with new slides would be the correct and reliable fix to ensure your safety. You could have a mechanic from YourMechanic come to you and do the repairs for you and may even save you some money over going into a dealer or shop. Have a quote done to compare. If you want a second opinion diagnosis, we can do that for you also.

If the calipers on your Jeep are original, they are way past replacement. Calipers are subjected to high heat, corrosion, and gum up and become sticky. The caliper bore is filled with old, moisture laden brake fluid and contaminants. Generally, if a caliper has 75,000 miles on it, I don’t recommend even looking at it...just pitch it and buy brand new (typically re-manufactured) loaded calipers from a REPUTABLE vendor, such as OEM (dealer), AC Delco, or like recognizable, long standing vendor. Yes, the sliding pins corrode, and sometimes completely seize, the grease on the pins completely oxidizes after being subjected to tortuous heat and the pins stick but the slide pins are only one component in the brake assembly that can stick...the other major component is the piston that is in the caliper bore. If a caliper has only say 40,000 or 50,000 miles on it, that fine, but after a decade and over 100,000 miles, you either have to rebuild them or buy rebuilt ones. If the pads have worn unevenly and you are installing new calipers, you have to check the rotors. The rotors may have irregular wear as well. If it were my car, I would buy 4 loaded calipers from a REPUTABLE rebuilder, brand new rotors and thoroughly bleed the brake system at all 4 wheels to remove all the accumulated moisture and dirt. Any other approach is a shortcut and will create less than optimal results and less than optimal service life. The key though is to find calipers that are PROPERLY re-manufactured. AC Delco is a possibility but you have to check their catalog. I have NOT had good luck with some big box auto store rebuilt junk. If you can’t find a reputable vendor for your application, feel free to re-contact us and I will be glad to research your particular application. AC Delco also makes rotors but so do other reputable vendors. If you desire that a certified professional from YourMechanic walk you through the process and restore your brake system to like new condition, by all means schedule an inspection and we will help you.