Q: Caliper piston failure after accident on it's corner

This is more of a question of how something could happen. I have a Jeep and it was struck on the left rear, It was hit on the body, the wheel was destroyed and the rear end was bent. My question is, the brake caliper on that side, which has that plastic, bake-o-lite type material for a piston, was reused since it has no signs of direct signs of being struck or visible damage. Could the piston inside the caliper have taken enough shock from the hit to that side but still functioned for awhile and could it eventually stick, or break apart inside? I was told that with it's posricion and make up, it is possible the piston could have fractures that are not visible. It is making a noise on that side but the body shop that repaired the car claims there is no problem they can see. I have a problem with so much damage that was caused in that corner of the car and the fact the caliper is touching the part that obviously had a tremendous shock

Your theory is sound but would be very hard to prove it was damaged in the accident unless it was discovered during the repairs or within a couple of days after getting it back. I have seen these ceramic pistons break apart on their own and crack under normal use. Because you had major damage to that side of your vehicle, you may be able to get the insurance company to fix it, but I would not bet on it. Have a mechanic check to see if the caliper sustained any type if damage that may prove it was damaged in the accident. If you need assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can help with your brake caliper replacement.

3. Caliper piston failure after accident on it's corner