Q: Buying a Mazda 5 with 4 cylinders

I'm looking to buy a 2007 Mazda 5, 4-cylinder. It has about 93,000 miles. What are your thoughts about the cost to fix relay problems on these cars?

My advice is would be to look for another model. That Mazda is now nine years old. If it has an automatic transmission, that makes one of the poorest automatic transmissions in the world and they cost many thousands to fix when they go bad. Being that old with that kind of mileage, odds are that it is probably starting to wear out. If you’re going to get that car cheap, like 1500 bucks or something, go ahead. If it works okay, and a mechanic checks it and says it’s okay, then go ahead. You’re not going to lose any money. But, if it costs a reasonable amount of money, you are better off putting your money on another car. Mazdas aren’t bad cars to buy brand new and then get rid of when they are six or seven years old, but you can’t keep them for decades.