Q: Bumping noise when not moving

Hello. Recently my pickup has been making a bumping noise while the vehicle is not moving for several seconds, like at the traffic lights. The truck has gone around 100,000 miles. How can I fix this? Thank you in advance.

This noise or sensation can be caused by the slip yoke on the drive shaft. If there is not enough grease in the splines of the yoke, it will bind as the driveline geometry changes from under load to a stop. If this happens to be the issue, in order to correct this, the driveshaft will need to be removed and the splines greased. Then the driveshaft will need to be reinstalled.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to identify and locate the source of the bump, and find the best path to correct it.