Q: Broken down , ford have checked the car and advised new head gasket , 2 new pistons and new engine because something has leaked

My car broken down and started smoking from the exhaust , ford came and picked the car up and have stripped it down to find it needs new hard gasket , 2 new injectors plus a new engine because something has leaked . Car is 12 weeks out of warranty , what can I do ?

Hi...you should obtain a second opinion. In particular, based on you account, please note that if a shop sells you a "new engine" that engine would already include "pistons" and the head gasket would already be installed if what they were recommending was a "long block" (i.e., complete cylinder block with cylinder head already installed). If fuel injectors are replaced, the remaining injectors are typically serviced to confirm that the injectors are balanced in terms of fuel delivery (i.e., they all have the same output). The collection of parts you have listed does not represent a diagnosis and for you to determine if any of this is necessary, or if what they have told you is the best (least cost) repair strategy they would have had to give you an intelligible diagnostic, and they would have to document the diagnosis in writing. Otherwise, they are wasting your time. That’s why I’m suggesting that you seek out a second opinion from a certified mechanic. Whatever you do, keep all of your old parts, just in case your car is not properly repaired and you need evidence of what was actually removed from your car and replaced. If you desire that your engine problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine diagnostic from YourMechanic and the responding certified mechanic will give you a usable and complete explanation of exactly what has gone wrong with your engine. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Broken down , ford have checked the car and advised new head gasket , 2 new pistons and new engine because something has leaked