Q: break and rotor replacement questions and opinons

hi my cars Vin number is 1G1ZT54834F124464 it's a 2004 malibu LS with 3.5 litre v6 engine. when I press my break peddle down I here a low deep metal grinding sound. I understand my break pads are done and I'm now wearing down the rotors. my questions to you is should I replace both front and rear breaks? or can I get away with just the front break pads and rotors. I also wanted to know if it's best to go to midas or a reputable repair shop and have them do it or if I put an ad on Kijiji for someone to do it and I just urchase the parts from Canadian Tire if that would be more economical for me. I have had a few offers and one person wanted to charge me 250 bucks plus the parts. is this a good deal? what should a freelance mechanic charge for a job like this and where is the best place to by parts and do I need drums and shows and discs or just discs without the shoes and drums

A: If the rear brakes are still serviceable, m...

If the rear brakes are still serviceable, meaning they are NOT worn below the minimum depth for the friction material AND are otherwise functioning normally, then you do not have to replace them at the same time that you replace the front brakes. You should purchase AC Delco Loaded Calipers, which are the complete brake assembly. It is not recommended to re-use the old calipers or torque plates. Obviously, you will need two new rotors. Buy AC Delco rotors or a comparable reputable name brand. The brake system will have to be bled, preferably at all 4 wheels. You need an ASE certified technician who is both competent and interested in the job. The person who does it, if you hire somebody on the side, has to have a calibrated torque wrench (a precision tool). If he cannot show you his calibrated torque wrench, run for the exits. If you were in the United States, I would refer you to YourMechanic. The only advice I can give you is if the person you deal with does not himself recommend, on his own motion, that you replace the calipers and torque plate and instead is just trying to get the job by offering you as cheap a "total" price as possible you definitely have the wrong person. Replace the WHOLE assembly with quality parts (AC Delco is OEM for your car), bleed the brakes and do it right so you only have to do it once. If your car were newer, you "might" be able to get away with using your old calipers but 2004 means those parts are 12 years old.