Q: Braking car quits running

My car won't stay started. I can start it, but as soon as I put pressure on the brake pedal, the car quits running. It’s like my brake is stuck. When I press the pedal down, it won't come back up normally. What could be wrong, and can how I fix this?

A few different faults can cause the vehicle to die when the brakes are pressed. The most common would be a vacuum leak or a brake booster failure. Either of these can pull too much air and can cause the engine to die. I would have an expert check this in person to verify which part failed. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and perform any repairs required.

3. Braking car quits running