Q: Brakes totally froze up with a stalled motor

I thought the engine stalled in my 2013 Ford Edge the other day, but it turns out the rear brakes were just totally seized up on the rotors. I have to replace the calibers but hopefully the warranty will cover it, vehicle only has 19,000 miles on it. Is this an issue with the whole brake system? Will this happen again?

An important key to answering your question is why this occurred in the first place. If both calipers required replacing for seizing, the most likely cause of them seizing is overheating. And the most likely cause of them overheating while you were driving is the park brake not being fully released. A binding parking brake cable that won’t fully allow the caliper to retract can also cause this; it would cause the calipers to constantly apply enough pressure to the brake rotor to cause friction. After enough time in this position, the calipers and rotors would get hot enough to expand, causing the brakes to seize up. To avoid this happening again, you should have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your parking brake and adjust it so that the parking brake light remains on until it is fully released. At the same time, you should also have the parking brake cable inspected for binding.