Q: Brakes need service

When I press my brake pedal, it goes to the floor, and I have to pump the pedal to stop. I think I need my brakes serviced.

A: Hello, if your brakes are suddenly going to...

Hello, if your brakes are suddenly going to the floor then that typically means that the master cylinder is failing or the system may be low on brake fluid. If it is low then the brakes may be severely worn or there may be a leak. The fact that you can pump up the pedal typically means that there is also an excessive amount of air in the system. I would typically get the vehicle in the air and pull off the wheels to check the brake pads. If the brakes are worn out then that needs to be addressed first and then the brake fluid can be flushed and bled. If the brakes are fine then it may just need a master cylinder. I would get some help from a certified mechanic to diagnose your brake system and inform you on the repairs that are needed.