Q: Brakes have gone out in 2001 GMC Jimmy

My car's brake warning light have come on and the brakes seem to have gone out. I am not sure what needs to be done.

Hello. The brake warning light usually indicates a fault in the hydraulic portion of the braking system. Start with checking the fluid level if it’s low, but if not empty, top off the fluid and recheck it in a couple of days. If the level is the same, the fluid was just low due to brake wear. If the fluid level drops, you might have a leak and should have the brake system checked for leaks. You may need the aid of a mechanic to inspect the brake system since the vehicle may need to be jacked up.