Q: Brakes don’t work, worried about a crash

I only have 38,000 miles on my 2012 Ford Edge, yet the brake problem I am experiencing with it almost caused an accident and was not a very new-car kind of issue. The brakes were really hard to push down at first. I was concerned so I pulled off the highway. Then the brakes went soft and barely stopped the car. Had it towed to the shop. What is to blame for this happening in such a new car?

A: Your vehicle is unsafe to drive in this con...

Your vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition and shouldn’t be driven until your problem is repaired. Being that you towed it to a shop, it appears from your question that they were unable to provide you with an answer. Since I have no further information as to which trim model your Edge is, I will respond on the basis that you have anti-lock brakes. Your symptoms as described can be result of several things, including, but not limited to: air in the brake lines, pinched or restricted lines, caliper mounting hardware, or problems with the Hydraulic Control Unit.

With so many possibilities, you will need to take your contact a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to have your brake problem professionally diagnosed. Furthermore, if anti-lock brakes are involved, special testing equipment will be required. Given the age and mileage of your vehicle, I would also recommend that you double check your warranty, in case it is still in effect to cover any needed repairs.