Q: Brakes don’t work, worried about a crash

I only have 38,000 miles on my 2012 Ford Edge, yet the brake problem I am experiencing with it almost caused an accident and was not a very new-car kind of issue. The brakes were really hard to push down at first. I was concerned so I pulled off the highway. Then the brakes went soft and barely stopped the car. Had it towed to the shop. What is to blame for this happening in such a new car?

Your vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition and shouldn’t be driven until your problem is repaired. Being that you towed it to a shop, it appears from your question that they were unable to provide you with an answer. Since I have no further information as to which trim model your Edge is, I will respond on the basis that you have anti-lock brakes. Your symptoms as described can be result of several things, including, but not limited to: air in the brake lines, pinched or restricted lines, caliper mounting hardware, or problems with the Hydraulic Control Unit.

With so many possibilities, you will need to take your contact a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to have your brake problem professionally diagnosed. Furthermore, if anti-lock brakes are involved, special testing equipment will be required. Given the age and mileage of your vehicle, I would also recommend that you double check your warranty, in case it is still in effect to cover any needed repairs.