Q: Brake rotors

It was time for my front brake pads to be replaced . I took it to one shop and they said I needed to replace the pads and rotors . The second place I went with said they could turn them . How successful is that . My car is at 90000 miles already and the rotors havnt been replaced . Does that matter ? I just want to be safe .

A: On Amazon, brand new AC Delco brand rotors ...

On Amazon, brand new AC Delco brand rotors for your car are about $55 each with free shipping. If you use a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic to refurbish your front brakes, you can simply supply those brand new high quality rotors to the Mechanic. If you request those AC Delco rotors from a "shop", however, the price could easily be double and, worse, they may indeed substitute the cheapest rotors they can find while charging you full fare. At $55 per rotor, it is not wise (i.e., given the economic and technical considerations) to re-surface your used rotors that have 90,000 miles of wear on them particularly when you consider the technical uncertainties involved in re-surfacing (translated into English: not all lathe operators re-surface rotors properly according to the instructions and, even amongst those who care, it is technically impossible to evaluate rotor hard spots - which later cause brake vibration - without lab instrumentation, frankly). Consequently, the bottom line is there is no question at all that you should install brand new rotors. It is also possible that you need new (rebuilt) calipers as well. I would never re-use brake calipers that have more than 75,000 miles on them. There is usually too much corrosion, the rubber parts (the seals) are aged and the caliper is full of moisture laden old brake fluid. Technically speaking, the best way to repair worn out front brakes is buy brand new loaded calipers from a REPUTABLE vendor (OEM dealer, AC Delco, or other recognizable vendor; you have to be careful because a lot of the rebuilt stuff sold in auto parts stores is junk, so the key is to find loaded calipers that were actually re-manufactured according to some reasonable standard; in my experience AC Delco has worked out but there are others), install new rotors and COMPLETELY and thoroughly bleed the brake system at all four wheels to get all the accumulated moisture out of the system. If you have YourMechanic perform a job like this, the money you save on labor and inflated shop overhead can be put into buying the highly quality and complete parts I have suggested. If you desire to schedule a brake pad and brake rotor replacement, by all means contact YourMechanic. If you have further technical concerns, please feel free to inquire further. Best wishes with your current repair.