Q: Q: ABS brakes lock up

I bought a new 2015 toyota corolla le automatic 1.5 years ago. Few months after the purchase on a summers day the brake pedal vibrated making it hard to stop the car. Then another few months later while on a bumpy road, the brake pedal vibrated again when i braked at a stop sign on the bumpy road causing me to go beyond the stop sign. Just recently, on a flat road covered with an inch of snow, i tried to brake and the brake pedal vibrated and i repeatedly hit the vibrating brake to stop the car. However, the car dragged beyond the stop sign and stopped a good 4 feet away from where i would have liked it to stop. What should i do?

It sounds like the traction control system and the ABS system may have been activated as a result of the bumpy road you were driving on. Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system.

3. Q: ABS brakes lock up