Q: Brake pedal difficult to press - 1993 Oldsmobile 98

I have some brake system issues on my car. The problem occurs when I drive and start to brake. The brake pedal seems to be very hard to press and requires a lot of force. During braking, the car would also idle unusually but it gets better as I let go off the brake. How can I fix this?

These symptoms are typically caused by a failing brake power booster unit, likely a vacuum valve in the booster unit. This fault reduces the brake booster effectiveness, requiring more effort to stop the car. It also leaks air to the engine, which is not accounted for by the fuel injection system and making the engine run rough. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the brake system in order to have this correctly resolved.

3. Brake pedal difficult to press - 1993 Oldsmobile 98