Q: Q: Brake pads

There is squealing or screeching coming from left front, near tire, I believe. It is not actually always when I have foot on brake. I took it to a mechanic and they told me that the brake pads on the back had 30,000 miles left on them and the ones on the front had 50,000 miles left on them. So, should I go ahead and have all the pads replaced?

Thank you.

Hello. Brake pads can need to be replaced after 25,000-70,000 miles depending on the quality of brake pads you have installed, and also largely dependent on personal driving habits. The best way to tell if they are ok is to visually inspect them. In doing so you are checking the width of the braking material on the brake pads. This gradually wears down over time and if they are passed a certain point they will need to be replaced. Worn brake pads will cause a squealing noise by design. Some pads, specially most newer types, are equipped with a small metal tab that runs along the brake material. The goal is to make an audible noise when the brake pad wears down below the point of replacing them. Again, a visual inspection is the easiest way to tell. If replacing some of them, go ahead and replace all of them. It is the best way to make sure the wear on the wheels and rotors stays consistent.

3. Q: Brake pads