Q: Brake pad wear message

The "brake pad wear" warning came on. Then, the power steering gave out. I checked under the hood, and it looks like the serpentine belt is covering the power steering and the water pump is broken.

A: Hello. It sounds like the main issue here i...

Hello. It sounds like the main issue here is the belt. If the belt comes off and causes a loss of voltage then you can get various warning lights. The belt coming off will also cause a loss of power steering. If the water pump pulley appears to be broken then that would cause this. I would typically remove all pieces of the belt and spin each pulley by hand checking for binding or or looseness. At that point I would replace any problem parts such as the water pump. Once that is repaired and the belt is back on everything should work. If the brake pad light remains on then the brakes need to be checked to see if they are worn.