Q: brake line ruptures while driving in city

While I was coming to a red light at an intersection at about 20mph, I applied the brakes. As I found out later, the rear brake line ruptured because of rust. At the time it ruptured, I was able to safely stop my truck. I am so fortunate that this did not happen on the highway. My truck also has extensive body and frame surface rust. I mostly park outside and live in the mid atlantic regions. It has very low mileage because I do not drive it very much. The manufacturer will not help me with the problem saying it is an environmental cause. Since I don’t drive the truck much at all, I don't understand why it would rust so much. Is there some way that I can treat this rust to inhibit it from increasing?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD. There are a bunch of different rust protection sprays on the market. I’ve never lived in an area where rust is a huge problem, so I’m not sure how well any of these products work. My parents are from Minnesota, and my dad always said the key to fighting rust is to wash your vehicle on a regular basis. This includes washing the undercarriage, even in the winter. Take a look at the various ways to protect your car from rust and decide which suits your car best.

3. brake line ruptures while driving in city