Q: Brake fluid

My car has no brake fluid. I was told that I can't just put more in, because I probably have a leaky line. The car is old and has a lot of miles on it, so I don't want to put very much money into it. That being said, I don't really have enough money to get a new car either. Is it possible that my car just needs more brake fluid and there isn't actually a leak?

The level of brake fluid in the master cylinder will slowly (very slowly) fall as the brake pads wear and the pistons in the caliper bores are pushed outward to maintain contact with the rotor. However, if you have to continually add brake fluid to keep the level adequate in the reservoir, then you have a leak. Leaks are not always costly to repair. If it is a hose, tube, fitting or cylinder the cost to repair is just the parts cost plus the labor. Your best bet is to simply have the leak identified and repaired and continue to use the car. If you want the leak source identified by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake fluid leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.