Q: I am replacing my power brakes booster and need some advice about removing the power unit from the bell crank.

Hello, I am replacing my power brakes booster and have a question about the process. My Chilton's manual says you need to "unbolt the power unit bell crank at the dash panel and remove the power unit and bellcrank as an assembly". My question is why cant you just remove the power unit from the bellcrank without having to unbolt and remove the entire unit as an assembly.

Thanks, JK

Hi there. When removing the brake booster from a vehicle, you will need to remove the master cylinder and cap off the hydraulic lines. Then go in the cab and remove the pin from the bell crank and unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the booster on. Then remove the booster. Do the opposite to install the booster. If the bell crank pin had a cotter pin to secure it, make sure that you use a new cotter pin. If you need further assistance with removing and installing a brake booster in your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. I am replacing my power brakes booster and need some advice about removing the power unit from the bell crank.