Q: Bought truck with aftermarket air filter. Not sure if it's cotton or synthetic. Would like to know if I need to oil it

Bought truck with aftermarket air filter not sure if it's cotton or synthetic would like to know if I need to oil it

Hello. Most synthetic air filters I have experience with utilize an oil that is pink. If the filter has a pink, or pink/brown tint, it is synthetic. Synthetic filters will tend to have a molded rubber border as well. If in doubt, buy a filter cleaning/re-oil kit from someone like K&N, a leading permanent filter manufacturer, and follow the clean/re-oil process on your filter.

3. Bought truck with aftermarket air filter. Not sure if it's cotton or synthetic. Would like to know if I need to oil it