Q: Both rear tires will not rotate.

the car was sitting on a slight incline with the emergency brake engaged for roughly about 2 and a half months due to it needing tagged and registered. When attempted to move after that time, both rear tires would give roughly around a half an inch and then no longer rotate and slide across the ground. I've called around and asked about the issue and they recommended moving the car back and forth to attempt to free the rotation. I did so for a few minutes and didn't make much progress. Also when I pull and release the handbrake, I don't have any extra tension that wasn't present before the issue. I also have drum brakes on the rear tires and the car is FWD

It’s not unusual for brakes to basically rust "shut" if a car sits for a long time. The corrosion can be so complete, the car’s wheels will literally be locked in place. If the wheels won’t free up by trying to "drive" the car back and forth, it might be possible to jack up each rear wheel and use a really long wrench attached to the center hub to try to manually break it free.

Another possibility, if the wheels are just dragging across the ground as you drive to and fro, is load sandbags in the trunk to put more weight (gain more traction) on the wheels, hoping that they will turn rather than "drag" across the ground (don’t put too much weight; you’ll damage the suspension).

If none of that works, the brakes will have to be dis-assembled and that may require a really powerful 10-20 ton puller because the drum could be rusted to the hub, not to mention the brake linings as well. When you start using a puller in this circumstance, you have to exercise caution because when the puller "releases", if it brings the shoes and springs with it, you could have parts flying all over.

It also sounds like it is so stuck that the brakes will have to be restored so even if you free it and the wheels turn, the brakes are going to be noisy due to all the corrosion, which noise may or may not disappear as you drive the car. You may also need a new emergency brake cable.

If you’d like assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose the brake system firsthand for an accurate repair.