Q: Bosch's Website Says My Car Can Accept a Universal O2 Sensor

I cannot tell whether I can run a universal 02 sensor. Bosch's website says a universal sensor will go in my car, but it does not say specifically whether it can run as the upstream air/fuel sensor, which I need to replace.

Any assistance you can provide will be much appreciated.

The definitive answer is "maybe" But with late model cars, I prefer to use the original equipment. A universal sensor, if wired correctly will not damage your system, but it also might not solve your problem. The ECM in your car is looking at the voltage changes between the sensors going into and out of the catalyst. If the manufacturing tolerance of the sensor is just a little bit different from the factory equipment, we’re talking about a few hundredths of a volt here, the ECM will still identify the sensor as bad and light the Check Engine Light. If you can get your hands on a proper Japanese sensor, I think it’s worth the few extra bucks to not have to do the job twice. If you want to hand that job over to a professional, you can contact Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to replace your oxygen sensor while you go about your regular business.

3. Bosch's Website Says My Car Can Accept a Universal O2 Sensor