Q: Boiling coolant reservoir

Hello, I have a 2001 ford escort and my coolant reservoir is boiling from heat I touched the reservoir to make sure. No leaking and my car does not overheat nor does it smoke.. although some times when I'm at a light and I have the brake on I feel as if the car wants to shut off and sometimes it does. Just got a new radiator. Spark plugs and wires. Oil change and oil filter. And flushed the coolant. The fan does come on when the car has been on for awhile I just don't know what's wrong?

Hi There, What you are describing is usually caused by a weak radiator cap, meaning it is no longer holding the pressure that is needed inside the system. Since you said you just replaced the radiator, if the proper mix of coolant and water was not replaced in the system, this may lower the boiling point and may cause excess pressure in the system. You’ll also want to ensure you have the entire system burped of all air, which also causes hot spots inside the engine. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose.