Q: Boat alternator issue

Purchased an alternator for my boat. the longer thread on the bottom is too thick. when i mount the alternator it pushes the belt out to far. anything i could do?

A: I believe you either have the wrong alterna...

I believe you either have the wrong alternator or the alternator is installed incorrectly. I would recommend comparing the new alternator to the old alternator to make sure that they match. If they do not match, I would recommend swapping the new one for the correct part. If they do match, I would recommend locating a diagram of how the alternator is installed for assistance.

I would also try reinstalling the old alternator to see if it will go on easily. If the alternators match and the old one still goes on easily, I would recommend taking a closer look at how the alternator is being installed.

It is also possible that the new alternator could be slightly thicker in a certain location preventing it from being mounted correctly. If this is the case, would recommend either purchasing one from a different manufacturer or grinding the excess metal off so that the alternator will fit properly.