Q: Blown engine in mariner

Is the value of a 2001 mercury mariner with a blown engine worth repair. What would engine replacement cosr?

2001 Mountaineers sell for $1,000 to $2,000 if in good condition. Professionally rebuilt engines for the 2001 (crate engines) vary in cost depending on which size engine you have and also the drive configuration (e.g., 2WD versus 4WD). At any rate, the crate engines for all versions (rebuilt) cost in the range of $3,000 to $4,000, of course not including installation. If the only thing wrong with the vehicle is the bad engine, it is eminently cost effective to replace the engine simply because the engine (and transmission of course) is THE most important component in a vehicle. So, even if you spend $4,000 replacing the engine, essentially, at the end of the repair you have a partly "new" car for only $4,000. New cars are not a good investment at all and few people even really "need" one. It is always more cost effective to repair what you already have and put your savings in the bank. I often point out to people that they can fully repair their car at a cost less than JUST the sales tax they’ll be charged on a $25,000 new car! My advice? If nothing else is wrong with the car, either rebuild the engine, put in a used engine (be careful of course) or put in a professionally re-manufactured crate engine ($3,000 to $4,000). If at any step of the process you need the assistance of certified mechanics, by all means please re-contact us and we will be glad to help you.

3. Blown engine in mariner